Update & End Tenancy

Updating Tenancy

For updates to your tenancy,  including family members or personal information, or to end a tenancy please contact Red Door Housing Society to update your records.  Please fill out the following form or call the Red Door housing office.  It is important to keep your contact numbers and emergency contacts up to date.

Fields marked with an * are required

Please fill out the form below to update any changes to your contact information.

Ending Your Tenancy

Written 30 day notice is mandatory in writing to your property manager prior to the first of the month to lawfully end your tenancy. This notice can only be from the 1st day of the month.
Please note your name,address with your unit number and the date you wish to leave. This must be signed by the lawful tenant.
A tenancy ends when the:

  • Tenancy is for a fixed term that clearly states the tenant will move out at the end of the fixed term
  • Tenant or landlord gives legal notice to end the tenancy
  • Landlord and tenant mutually agree to end the tenancy
  • Tenancy agreement is frustrated by circumstances beyond the landlord or tenant’s control
  • Tenant abandons the rental unit

Landlords/Property Managers and tenants are responsible for ending the tenancy lawfully, ensuring both parties have an opportunity participate in condition inspections and agree on any deposit deductions that may be required. Landlords/Property Managers or tenants can be ordered to pay money to each other if they don’t follow the law.

Doing it Right

After notice has been given, both landlords and tenants have specific responsibilities in order to end a tenancy properly – the tenant must move out by 1 p.m. on the effective date of the notice – the last day of the tenancy. This means the unit must be cleaned and all keys given to the landlord by then, unless the landlord agrees in writing to a later time.

A tenant who doesn’t move out on the effective date of a notice to end tenancy is called an overholding tenant. In these situations, the landlord may apply for an Order of Possession to end the tenancy and money to cover expenses – like accommodation or storage costs for an incoming tenant.