Ladner Willows Affordable/Non-Market Rental Apartment Building
Building More Than Homes
Red Door Housing Society is redeveloping the Ladner Willows property to more than triple the number of housing units available. The redevelopment would see the current 40-unit townhome complex redeveloped to a 150 unit, four-story affordable housing complex, located at 5625 Ladner Trunk Road, in Delta.
The location is in walking distance to parks, schools, a community centre, shopping amenities, and frequent transit. BC Housing is funding this project that will provide 150 units of affordable housing for low-income individuals, families, seniors, and people living with disabilities in the City of Delta. The design includes one level of partially underground parking, green space with a central courtyard that includes a children’s play area, and the opportunity for the addition of community gardens.
Ladner Willows redevelopment will provide safe, stable, and family-friendly housing for individuals and families. The project is adding desperately needed affordable housing in Ladner. The modern design will showcase a new approach to affordable housing and provide housing for the current tenants as well as more than 100 new families, couples, and individuals. The community-first mindset of the Red Door Housing Society and their commitment to providing and managing quality and affordable housing to those in need, will expand the model of affordable housing in the community of Delta, during a time when the need is greatest.
Red Door Housing Society is committed to working with the City of Delta, to support the community’s Housing Action Plan and the eight strategies identified to address Delta’s housing needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Affordable Housing?
Affordable housing is housing available below traditional market rates. There are a variety of different approaches to calculating what is “affordable”, but the general rule is that less than 30% of a household’s income would go to housing.
Rental Housing Mix
The Ladner Willows development is proposed to include the following rental mix:
- Rent Geared to Income: 50% = 75 units
- Deep Subsidy: 20% = 30 units
- Market rental rate: 30% = 45 units
- Existing Ladner Willows tenants are being provided first right of refusal for units at the redeveloped site and will be able to return to the site at their existing rent, provided that they continue to meet the existing rent subsidy criteria.
- All tenants must meet maximum income thresholds that differ depending on the level of affordability of the unit.
Project Target Populations
- Low-income individuals, families, seniors, and people living with disabilities in the City of Delta.
Prospective tenants will be required to meet eligibility as defined by BC Housing and must apply through the BC Housing Registry.
A tenant relocation plan is in place to support existing tenants and to facilitate a smooth transition to their new homes.
What stage is the process at now?
On June 13, 2022, the City of Delta Council approved the Ladner Willows Non-Market Rental Apartment Building application to move to a Public Hearing, scheduled for June 28, 2022.
We are now seeking public feedback and input.
If approved, what is the proposed timeline for project completion?
Construction completion and tenanting would be expected in late 2025.
How can I participate and share my input?
There are a few ways that you can participate and share your feedback:
- Provide your feedback to Delta City Council
- Share your support for this project through BC Non-Profit Housing Association (BCNPHA). Click here to access the online form.
- Send your comments to:
- Bailey Mumford, Red Door Housing, at [email protected], or
- Amanda Morgan, DYS Architecture at [email protected]
How can I stay informed about the planning and redevelopment process?
- You can check back on this website, or
- You can visit the Let’s Talk Delta project page for updates.